Similar to planning anything in life, be it a work project, applying to university, job etc. you will need a Wedding Checklist to plan a wedding. It doesn’t matter you have 1 year, 1 month or 1 week, planning a wedding can easily become overwhelming especially when we have to allocate extra time to our already busy lifestyles. Each wedding is different however, the ideal time to plan a wedding is 12-14 months. It doesn’t matter how much time you have, you need a wedding checklist to help you stay organized.
What you need for a Wedding Checklist?
First step in planning a wedding is you have to sit down with your Fiancé and discuss the below.
- The type or style of wedding you both want.
- Similarly the time of the year you both want to get married and for some cultures, how many days of wedding.
- Decide on number of guests you want to have for your wedding and create a rough guest list.
- Discuss and set a rough budget.
- Think of the style of venue you want and if you want any theme for the wedding.
- Start researching on Venues and photographers.
- Be Organized with the planning from day 1. For instance, put together an organized binder with separate folders and sections or hire a wedding Coordinator or a wedding planner.
- Start researching on other vendors like Florist, Hair & Make-up artists, Wedding officiants, Wedding suppliers, DJ’s etc.
- Similarly do some research on the wedding dress style you like.
- Think about the bridal party or if you want to have a bridal party. If so how many
- Think about DIY projects that you or your family can help you with.
Once you both had the conversation, its time to contact, visit and book. Just keep in mind that venues start booking 3 years in advance & most photographers/vendors start booking at least a year in advance. So if you have eyes set on a particular vendor, you should contact them right away.
12-14 Months Before the wedding day checklist
This phase can become overwhelming soon. Remember to breathe and take your time to make a decision. End of the day its your big day. So make it a priority to plan a wedding as you both dreamed of and start crossing things off your wedding checklist as you go through the list.
- Contact the venue for availability and book tours. Some venues book 3 years in advance. So its important you contact them soon.
- Book venue(s)
- Pop the question once you have the decision made on the bridal party.
- Meet with the Bridal Party and start delegating duties.
- Book your photographer
- Book your Videographer
- Schedule appointments with bridal shops.
- Book caterers, Hair & Makeup artists, DJ’s etc.
- After that Meet and decide who will be officiating your wedding (minister, priest, Justice of the Peace, etc.
- Choose Bridesmaids dresses.
- Budget and plan your honeymoon.
- Choose and order your wedding dress.
- Decide and reserve rental items you need like photo booth, tents, chairs, tables etc.
- Look into options for suits for the Groom and Groomsmen.
- Book hair and make-up trials.
- Book engagement photo session.
- Set-up Wedding Websites
- Get marriage license. Check local rules regarding this as it needs to be done before a certain period.
- Send Save the Dates if you’re looking to give guests lots of notice.
- Block rooms for the out of town guests at the venue or nearby hotel. If you are getting a room for yourself and your Fiancé, get separate rooms. However ask for bigger rooms available.
- Talk to your venue & officiant about doing a walk-through rehearsal the day before the wedding day.
- Finally send out Invitations.
- Taste and order Wedding cake.
- Taste and decide the Menu for the Wedding day and other days if your wedding is more than one day.
- Select, order and plan gifts for bridal party.
- Research and order guest favors and hotel Baskets.
- Select and purchase your wedding rings.
- After that finalize floral arrangements, bouquets, boutonnieres, etc.
- Similarly shop and arrange wedding venue and reception décor.
- Decide on the song for first dance, reception entrance and finally create a playlist with few additional songs that will be backup. Store the playlist on couple devices.
One Month Before Wedding day Checklist
Woohooo !!! Now that everything is arranged or ordered, the countdown is ON. Its time for final touches and in addition, go over your wedding checklist to make sure nothing is missed. Your big day is almost here.
- Create a List with timeline of events for wedding week as well as wedding day.
- Have final dress fitting for Bride & Groom as well as all the bridesmaids and groomsmen.
- Think about table plan display , finalize seating arrangements and print or make table cards.
- Confirm final details with all vendors and suppliers.
- Confirm menu and dietary requirements with the caterer.
- Send song suggestions, playlist to the DJ.
- Write Speeches/Vows.
- Confirm with Officiant.
- Send photo list to the photographer.
- Finalize guest list and send RSVP reminders if they have not yet responded.
- Start using wedding shoes or sandals.
One Week before Wedding day
The big day is almost here. This week can be stressful at the same time exciting. You got this!!
- Go over checklist to make sure you haven’t forgotten anything.
- Start organizing things to pack for wedding day. For Instance, pack items you want your photographer to take photos of separately.
- Prepare for your photographer for wedding day
- Confirm final numbers with caterer and the venue.
- Visit the venue or chat with the wedding coordinator about timelines and placements (DJ, cake, first dance etc.)
- Confirm the timelines with vendors.
- Get the beauty treatments like waxing, facial, hair treatments done.
- Write cheques or organize envelopes with cash for final payments to the vendors.
- Assign bridesmaid/groomsman as contact person on the day and send their contact info to the vendors.
- Meet Bridesmaid/Groomsmen to go over timelines and responsibilities for wedding day with them.
- Last but not the least do the walkthrough rehearsal with Officiant.
Its time to celebrate!! Your big day is here.
OMG!!! You are getting married..
Enjoy, Celebrate & Create as many memories as possible
Did we forget to add something to the checklist? Let us know by commenting below.